Step 1: Use an online job search tool to find jobs that interests you, and that you would apply for
Step 2: Make a list of five jobs and their main functions (ex: position name, organization/company, URL, and software/technology/digital skills that the position requires or recommends a familiarity with)
- Copywriter, In-house Advertising Agency
- Calvin Klein, a wholly owned subsidiary of PVH Corporation.
- An exceptional copywriting portfolio website – ability to actively contribute to campaign development – experience with strategic creative executions – at least 2 years of experience
- Stevens Advertising, Inc.
- Create content for various materials in a variety of platforms, including print collateral, TV, radio and interactive content – Portfolio that demonstrates prior success – 2+ years of prior advertising agency experience or in-house writing experience.
- Project Manager
- Auxiliary Advertising and Design
- Write, edit, and proof content on a variety of projects and plans – Fluency in (or at least familiarity with) Mac OS X and above – Expertise with Microsoft Office, primarily Excel (spreadsheet junkie!) – Expertise (or at least experience with) Google Apps (Drive, Calander, etc.) – Experience with project management software and systems, and/or methods – 2+ years in marketing, project management, and/or account management.
- Graphic Designer
- Auxiliary Advertising and Design
- Complete fluency in Adobe Creative Suite (Graphic Design – InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) – Skill in video, animation, illustration, and other design disciples a plus – Familiarity with various production techniques (both print and digital) – 2+ agency or internal design department experience desired, but not required.
- Social Media Strategist
- Name.com under the Rightside Operating Co.umbrella.
- Passionate about social media – Executing digital acquisition campaigns for an commerce company, or within a digital marketing – Basic photo editing and design skills – Experience executing social media ads – Technologically savvy. Proficiency in Google Docs, Google Analytics, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and MS Office – Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Step 3: Evaluate
While I was exploring through these websites, I gained a lot of insight about what opportunities are open for me in the future. As I am getting more into my major and minor, to me it started to seem like such a far fetched goal to get an internship or job with the competition so tight. However, what I discovered was that there was a massive array of jobs and internships that were in my skill range (obviously while still growing into my skills), and this made me much more optimistic to what the real business world has to offer me.
What I thought was extremely helpful and interesting from these websites that there was defaulted categories and keywords that you could type in, and they all applied to me. This showed the multiple variations that the work force has to offer. This as well offered so many alternative options for the certain states that you preferred, and I thought it was a really personable way to have a balance between what you need (the job) and what you want (the location). All together these are very clever and relevant websites that I can see myself using in the future outside of this blog report!
[Image of painting]. Henry4School. Retrieved from https://sometimestherearerobots.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/applying-for-jobs1.jpg